Page 36 - Land of Legends
P. 36

Grant County BATTLE OF JENKINS FERRY Civil War enthusiasts can travel State Highway 46 between Sheridan and Leola to Jenkins Ferry State Park, the site of the “bloodiest battle west of the Mississippi!” The Battle of Jenkins Ferry, fought April 31, 1864 near the Saline River, between General Frederick Steele’s Union forces and General E. Kirby Smith’s Confederate army was the climax to the Federals’ ill-fated Camden Expedition. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been established as a national historical landmark. Jenkins Ferry State Park is operated by the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism and is open to the public daily until 10:00 p.m. The roadside park is located just east of the Saline River in southwestern Grant County along Highway 46 South between Sheridan and Leola. One can reach the actual bat- tlefield from the park by continuing to travel east toward Leola. The ground upon which the battle was fought lies one mile from the Saline River just west of Highway 46. Cleveland County MARKS’ MILL BATTLE SITE Marks’ Mill Battlefield - Southwest Cleveland County is the site where Confederate forces under the command of General James Fagan captured a Federal supply train in route from Camden to Pine Bluff on April 25, 1864. The Confederate victory at Marks’ Mill along with Federal defeats in Louisiana ended any plans of a northern invasion into Texas and hastened a Federal retreat towards Little Rock. A roadside park offers interpre- tive markers depicting the battle. THE MOUNT ELBA BATTLEFIELD The Union forces led by Colonel Powell Clayton arrived back at Mount Elba on the March 30,1864 and dismantled the Pontoon bridge they had erected earlier. While in this process, they were engaged by a strong Confederate force of Slemmon’s Brigade. After a sharp fight the Confederates withdrew in the direction of Big Creek, leaving 25 dead, 87 wounded and 25 captured. Union forces had 4 killed and 18 captured or missing. Lincoln County SKIRMISH AT BRANCHVILLE On January 18, 1864, Col. Clayton left Pine Bluff with 600 men of the 5th Kansas, !st Indiana and 7th Missouri Calvary, plus 4 cannon on a routine patrol. Early on Jan. 19, they encountered picets of the 10th Missouri Cavalry (C.S.) north of Branchville and began fighting. After 30 minutes, the Confederates withdrew, continung to fight for 7 miles until they reached their main camp at Branchville. The 10th Missouri withdrew quickly. 16 Confederates died. 37 


































































































   34   35   36   37   38