Page 24 - Land of Legends
P. 24

Pine Bluff Landmarks ally-acclaimed Smoke on the Water Barbecue and Music Festival. The Lakeview Amphitheater has a seating capacity of 4,500 with 138 permanent stadium seats and an overflow concrete slab that can seat another 500. The remaining landscape is open for lawn chairs or to just spread out a blanket and enjoy the atmosphere and lake breezes. HESTAND STADIUM has been home of the Southeast Arkansas Livestock Fair and Rodeo, the annual event that PINE BLUFF CIVIC CENTER was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. It is a colonnaded com- plex of three structures built from 1963 to 1968, It was designed in the Modern archi- tectural style by Arkansas architects Edward Durell Stone and his son Edward Jr. It was Stone’s only civic commis- sion in his native state, and featured livestock shows, nightly rodeo competition and a gigantic midway. Hestand Stadium, located at 420 North Blake Street, still hosts other events through- out the year. GRIDER FIELD The Pine Bluff School of Aviation, estab- lished by the U. S. Army Air Corps, trained over 9000 pilots for World War II. See restored aircraft hangars, bar- racks, monument memorabil- ia and World War II aircraft. Located just off of U.S. Highway 65S at Grider Field. followed his 1959 ground- breaking work on the United States Embassy in New Delhi. The three buildings capture a courtyard which is home to the Iwai Japanese Garden, given to the city of Pine Bluff in 1987 by its sister city, Iwai City, Japan. The Iwai Garden is the only Japanese-style gar- den open to the public in Arkansas. 25 


































































































   22   23   24   25   26